Friday, November 12, 2010

Japanees Wedding Cards

Madness: Diary of a bipolar 67th

Diary of a bipolar
of
Patrice Guillon Emilie Guillon and Sebastien Samson

Diary of a bipolar is the autobiographical story upsetting to a young woman plagued by a fluctuation abnormal mood disorders.
If bipolar disorder is a psychiatric disorder is well known, few witnesses who are just in its appearance and its impact on daily life.


This book is beautiful, simple and strong. This book really touched me. He also raised a concern when I got it done. Namely, how I could talk about it. Is it simply that I had to speak only of the book, stay basic as I usually ...
In fact, this book touched me especially because I am also bipolar. So there are many situations in which I saw Camille found myself ...
While accurate, although the young author is Emilie Guillon, and it is indeed an autobiography, the main character called Camille. It does not explain why, but we can reasonably assume that it is to allow Emilie Guillon take some distance with the story.
What is interesting is that the story of Camille, is interspersed with moments in the "present" moments when she discusses with her father to explain things, which are times when she wants to stop " because it serves no purpose "and that two days later she is seen to phone his father to apologize.
These cuts in the story shows that even now not everything is set for Camille, there are still some extreme moments. Otherwise
history of Camille is very well told, very touching, and I think she can help raise awareness to someone who is not familiar or not this disease, difficulties in live with, especially the enormous difficulties in finding a doctor who can finally put a correct diagnosis. Camille for example, will almost 4 years to finally tell her doctor that she is bipolar.
The story is simple, fair, it does not fall into the sordid and the pathos. It feels good Emilie Guillon has not made this one for the comics complain, or complain. She just wanted to let his testimony on something that remains too little known, so that this disease affects at least 6% of the general population.
The design is very well found, not a black design that would have increased the overloaded story, which might have given a pathetic dimension. Instead, we have a clear picture, that just completely black and white, which enhances the story. Some may find too stylized, not realistic enough, but it seems to me that style would have further served the purpose. Unlike a traditional comics, drawing seemed a little secondary to the text where it usually would almost tell the story. Not that it is not important, but more attention is paid to the text and that explains Camille, it is no longer there to support the text than the reverse. And we must congratulate the designer Sébastien Samson which was apparently the first BD to have been able to image both the difficult story of Emilia / Camille.
I do not know how someone will receive the external testimony, but I must say that for me it was sometimes difficult, (not because it was bad, but because it touched me too) and I had to cut my reading of this album in pieces over several days.
I certainly hope, as Dr. Gay signing the afterword that this book will help people facing the disease to recognize or to people face to people in these situations to finally understand them better, and realize they do not pretend that this is not something that can be removed overnight. And it should also be read by doctors who too often confuse bipolarity and depression and stuff sick of antidepressants which often leads to dramatic situations.
Ultimately, it is obviously a blow of heart for me, and I hope he can be for many readers.


21/30

0 comments:

Post a Comment